During Inclement Weather, The Ivy Preparatory School follows Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) decisions regarding delays and closing when the reasons pertain to the safe transport of the children, staff and parents on the first day. For the second and any subsequent days, The Ivy makes independent decisions, which are taken after considerable deliberation and monitoring of the weather and road conditions, and determines whether to open on time, delay opening, close early, or completely close the school depending on the circumstances. The Ivy decisions that do not follow FCPS are communicated via www.schoolsout.com (please click here to register – school code:1047). Parents will receive an email from www.schoolsout.com by 6:00 a.m. on the day in question. The Ivy Preparatory School generally adheres to the following principles, but be sure to always check your email for our decisions and to check our status on Inclement Weather Days.
- If Fairfax County Public Schools have a delayed opening, The Ivy typically follows suit but may delay for a different period of time.
- If Fairfax County Public Schools are closed, The Ivy closes on the first day.
- If FCPS close on a second consecutive school day, on rare occasions, if the conditions are not hazardous in our school environment, as a private school, we may choose to open, or have a delayed opening, instead of closing. Childcare will be available unless severe weather conditions threaten the safety of the parents, children, and our staff.
- If the Federal Government is closed, The Ivy is closed completely; if the Federal Government delays opening or closes early, The Ivy follows those decisions.
- If severe weather conditions develop during an open school day, staff and parents will be notified if an independent decision is made to close the school early. It is important that parents have a backup plan if they are unable to pick up their children. Children should be picked up in a reasonable amount of time to ensure all parents, children, and staff can travel safely home. Routine classroom activities will continue until parents arrive.